Happy Friday everyone! We made it! How has the week been? I can’t believe how time is flying by. I guess that’s what happens when the going gets tough and the tough get going and tough isn’t really tough but fun and interesting. Does that make sense? 🙂
So my recipe for the week stemmed from the cooler weather we’ve been having here in the Northeast U.S. Don’t get me wrong, the weather is beautiful but it’s preparing me for warm, comforting and nourishing food. So this week I threw together what was in the fridge and came up with this nutritious and delicious meal: Warm Quinoa With Veggies (makes 2-4 servings).
1 large carrot
1 large celery stalk
1 scallion or 1/4 – 1/2 Spanish onion (depending on your taste)
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 cup quinoa
1/2 a lemon for juice
Salt & pepper
Parsley (for garnish)
Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook the quinoa and set aside.
- Chop the carrot, celery and onion and add it to a pan heated and coated with olive oil. Allow them all to cook for about five minutes or until they begin to soften.
- In the meantime, mince the garlic and add it after the five minutes of cook time for the other ingredients.
- Add the 1/2 cup of vegetable stock. Bring to a boil then cover and let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and mix all together.
- Top with spinach and cover again. Let it cook down for another few minutes.
- Stir everything together and add the 1/2 lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bowl it up. Add some fresh parsley for garnish and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if you wish.
This dish is great for the season turnover. It still contains the fresh ingredients and flavors from summer but the warmth makes them a little heartier and comforting as we transition from warmer to the cooler weather. As an alternative to the lemon juice some soy sauce could be used for more of an Asian-inspired twist to the dish.
Have a great weekend! So excited for more yoga teacher training!